Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Senior Trip- Day 1

One of the FEW perks of being a senior sponsor: senior trip. HCHS's seniors chose three days of fun in sunny Orlando.
Activity one: paintball. Having never participated in the lovely sport, I was a little uneasy about participating. Students assured me that getting hit was "not a big deal"  and "you won't even feel it." As a high school teacher, I chant the following mantra regularly: "If a teen's mouth is open, a lie is coming out of it" (courtesy my hubby who also spends a great deal of time w/teenagers - baseball and football coach). So I knew better. Initially decided not to participate for fear of being a target. But later had a change of heart, when else will I get to do this? What's the worst that could happen? (Famous last words....) Rented my coveralls and suited up. Spent the first round hiding and watching just to see what it was really like. Round 2: got a little braver and stormed an enemy post before I could get there, "WHAM!" The most excruciating pain (yes I'm a wimp when it comes to it)! I had been nailed in the head. It almost took my breath away. Later found out it was not even a student who had hit me, but a fellow chaperone! The nerve ;) ! Spent the next round crouched in the fetal position, trying to convince others to venture out. As I played, I could not help but notice how violent the game was and decided this would probably be my last time playing. But I got the experience and gained an authentic opinion of it. Isn't that what life is all about?

Ready to annihilate some some seniors (later informed I was holding the gun upside down)!

1 comment:

  1. You go Mandi!! You would never know how it was unless you tried:) Good job sticking it out!

    ReplyDelete